Thursday, July 15, 2010

Miss Mea Boykins

I've been blessed to meet some pretty awesome people in my life, and Mea is one of them. She was one of my closest friends at Spelman AND we're still pretty close today. If I'm taking the time out to write about her you know she is has to be special. She was featured on Spelman's website as well as Black Legal Issue for the scholarship fund that she recently created (S.E.A- Spelman Emergency Assistance). Her generosity and drive to help others has inspired me so much. Mea has inspired me in general but thats not for YOU to know. Wait until my first book is published-- you'll see what I mean. (I know I sooo should have written about her MYSELF but copy & paste is my best friend tonight.. At least I linked back to the other websites.) Please read and consider donating! $5 or $5,000-- every dollar helps.



Mea Boykins is on a mission to help her Spelman sisters finish their education and pursue their dreams. The New Orleans native recently created S.E.A., the Spelman Emergency Assistance Scholarship Fund, to help students experiencing financial hardships that could potentially derail their academic dreams.

Her Inspiration

When asked what inspired her to establish the scholarship fund, Boykins says, "I realized that there were many people in need of financial assistance during freshman year when several of my friends were on financial probation and almost had to leave school. My father helped three of my friends pay their balances on their tuition, as well as a stranger who was a senior in her last semester with a balance of only $3,000 who was about to be put out of school."

She adds, "I realized her case was an emergency situation and decided to create a scholarship for people who are struggling financially and have all the aid, grants, loans, and family contribution, but still have a balance that may force them to leave school."

Application Guidelines for S.E.A.

In order to apply for the scholarship the student must have at least a 3.0 GPA, be in good ademic standing, and be involved with community service. Although funds are still being raised in order for a scholarship to go out, once at least $5,000 is raised the student may apply for the S.E.A. Scholarship.

The student may contact the director of donor giving, Marsha Allen, at mallen@spelman.edu in order to apply for the scholarship, and the scholarship committee will choose a candidate that is eligible.

Boykins says she is currently raising money for the scholarship fund, and planning fundraising events to reach my ultimate goal of $50,000 so that the scholarship can be endowed at Spelman College.

Ways to Give

To make a tax-deductable contribution to the S.E.A. Scholarship log onto the Spelman website on www.spelman.edu.

Under the heading "Giving to Spelman" select "Make Your Annual Gift Fund Now" and complete the Online Gift Form. Specify the S.E.A. Scholarship in the 'other' category or you can mail a check payable to Spelman College at

Spelman College
350 Spelman Lane, SW
Box 1303
Atlanta, Ga 30314-4399

Gifts of $5 or more will be appreciated and donors will receive an official gift acknowledgement from the College.

"I truly believe in investing in education becauseI know that education is a gateway to a successful future," says Boykins. "As people have invested in me, I yearn to invest in others. I really appreciate anything anyone is willing to contribute to invest in someone's education.

More About Mea Boykins

Boykins was one among 187 students across the nation to receive a scholarship from PUSH/Excel, an affiliate program of the Rainbow PUSH Coalition that encourages students and their parents to strive toward academic excellence.

Boykins, a psychology major minoring in French, was awarded the Ora Lee Sanders Scholarship, a renewable, $1,000-per-year scholarship and an all-expense paid trip to Chicago to participate in the annual PUSH Coalition, PUSH Excel and Citizenship Education Fund Conference.

This summer, Boykins is living in Boston where she recently finished summer school at Boston University. She is also serving as an intern with the John Hancock "Summer of Opportunity" Program for youth to help curb and decrease violence among children in the Boston area. Last summer, she interned with Wediko Children's Services at an overnight stay camp for children with behavioral and emotional issues.

Her Plans for the Future

"I plan to move to Chicago next summer to earn a masters/Ph.D. in clinical psychology. I also aspire to develop a nonprofit in New Orleans to help get teens off the street and provide them with a place of refuge."

No comments: